J-Swizzle's Indianapolis Restaurant Map

View Indianapolis Restaurants in a larger map
Blue Markers = Places To Visit Utensils = Places We've Been

Monday, March 14, 2011

Binford Cafe

Mike won a gift card for the Binford Cafe, so it was an obvious choice for breakfast over the weekend.

Binford Cafe is a small place with some tables, a diner counter, and a window into the kitchen. We felt like we were eating in someone's kitchen. There were family pictures and utility bills out. I'm just imagining this in my head, but it seemed like there were 3 generations working there. Parents in the kitchen; daughter is the waitress; and the grandson helps out where he can. Regulars went right up to the kitchen window and said hi to the cooks. That's nice to see.

The menu is standard breakfast food and sandwiches and some wraps. Nothing fancy. We didn't order from the regular menu, but the list of specials they had that day. Mike got the club omelet and I got the Hungry Hoosier (eggs, bacon, hashbrown casserole, baked apples, and biscuit and gravy) and a side of grits. Before you judge, I shared! Mike's omelet was pretty good. They didn't skimp on the fillings of tomatos, turkey, ham and bacon. And the potatoes were mixed with peppers and onions..yum. For me, the baked apples were the best part. They were warm and perfectly sweet. Everything else was just eh. I ordered my eggs over-easy, they came out over-medium. Bacon was extra crispy. The gravy had chunks of sausage, but was dry and needed a lot of salt. The grits were also very dry, but they made them with water instead of milk, which is what I prefer. When we were waiting for our check, the waitress took out some eggs benedict (also part of the specials menu), and it looked tasty. I should have ordered that.
I don't know if people are actually going for the food, but I imagine it's for the atmosphere.

The Rating
-Up for the atmosphere, down for the food

Info
Binford Cafe
6406 Rucker Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46220
317-466-9631

No coupons, but they do offer a drawing for a free lunch every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment