J-Swizzle's Indianapolis Restaurant Map

View Indianapolis Restaurants in a larger map
Blue Markers = Places To Visit Utensils = Places We've Been

Monday, April 18, 2011

Shapiro's Deli

I've only started going to this Indianapolis staple recently because of my friend, Kara. It's super close to both of our workplaces so it's an easy spot for us to grab lunch and chat. This visit I went with my roommate, Jamie.

Shapiro's Deli has been around since 1905 serving kosher food. The restaurant is set up cafeteria style. They're really smart about the order in which you'll see the food - the desserts are first and they look good! You have to have a lot of self control when you pass them. My trick: I remind myself of all the OTHER food I already plan on eating, and then I don't pick up dessert.

I ordered my "usual", half of a corned beef on their homemade rye with spicy brown mustard and swiss cheese. Normally, I hate hate HATE mustard, but I don't mind it on this sandwich. This doesn't sound like a lot of food, but the sandwich is huge. They are definitely not stingy. And per usual, the food was fantastic. The corned beef is juicy. The bread is soft. And the mac and cheese is comforting. It has a sweet taste to it, but I think it works.
Jamie got the pastrami sandwich, and it looked really good! I might actually order that next time! But the part of Jamie's meal was her side of potato pancake. Talk about comfort! It was a giant hashbrown!


The Rating

The Info
Shapiro's Deli (Downtown)
808 S. Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN 46225
317-631-3958

Shapiro's Delicatessen (S Meridian/McCarty) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment