J-Swizzle's Indianapolis Restaurant Map

View Indianapolis Restaurants in a larger map
Blue Markers = Places To Visit Utensils = Places We've Been

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mmm...Food Trucks! Part 3

Ok...NOW I'm finally concluding my food truck post. I'm continuing the list form.

5. Mable on the Move
This food truck was all about bringing you "high quality, made from scratch, honest, natural food". I decided to steer away the healthy salads and soup and went for the grass feed, all beef, organic hot dogs.
They offered sauerkraut. I normally only put sauerkraut on brats, but I thought maybe they knew something I didn't. I also added banana peppers and a bit of ketchup. I skipped the mustard (bleh!) and relish. I didn't think the hot dog was bad! It was pretty good actually. While I liked the bun since it had seeds on it, I would have preferred a smaller bun. All that bread was too much. Mike didn't think this hot dog was special. He doesn't say it, but I know he uses ball park franks as his standard. If you're going to charge more, it better taste better. I think I made a mistake this time with my topping choices. I would order this again, but with ketchup only. And next time, I will try out their salads and soups. I've heard good things about them.

The Rating






The Info
Mable on the Move
www.mableonthemove.com

6. Spice Box
Can you believe there are multiple Indian food trucks in Indianapolis? P couldn't! I really wanted to try everything on the menu, but we decided to just try the spice wrap with the green (hot) sauce. The Spice Wrap has marinated chicken and onions wrapped in a roti. Roti is an Indian flat bread. I didn't notice that at first, but P pointed out the fact that they were using that instead of just a tortilla. I thought this was really good. I thought the flavors tasted fairly authentic, and it was easy to eat since it was a wrap. Pretty perfect for food from a truck. I probably won't seek out Spice Box because I'm a piggy and rather stuff myself with a buffet, but if it's there I will definitely stop by!
The Rating
The Info
Spice Box.
www.spiceboxindy.com

7. Byrnes Grilled Pizza
So if you read Serious Eats, the picture of the bottom of the crust was my attempt of being a serious food blog. lol. I think Abby thought I was crazy because she had no idea why I wanted her to lift up the pizza so I could take a picture of the bottom of it. 

Anyway, the one slice of Byrnes Grilled Pizza was some great pizza. The pizza Abby ordered was a specialty pizza with no sauce, cheese, ricotta cheese, tomato, peppers and spinach. Pizza's pretty subjective. The reason why I really liked this pizza was the ratio of toppings to crust. Since I don't care much for bread/crust, I clearly like to taste more of the toppings than crust. Speaking of the crust, it actually wasn't that bad. It was thin, clearly from the pictures. The edges were crispy, and there was a faint taste of char. Even though there was a lot of cheese, nothing was too greasy or caused the thin crust to get soggy. I really liked this pizza. Unfortunately, don't go looking for a daily from Byrnes. They are only available for catering by appointment only. So...if you plan an event and hire Byrnes Grilled Pizza, please send me an invite! ;-)

The Rating
The Info
Byrnes Grilled Pizza
www.byrnespizza.com/

8. Little Eataly
Ok, I think this is the BEST name for an Italian food truck. Little EATaly. It just makes me smile. :-) It's like having a dog named "Beans". Just makes you smile every time you say it. Don't believe me? Just try it. ;-) Beans.
This is actually the 2nd time I've tried Little Eataly. The first was after the Super Bowl. Mike had their meatball sub, and I thought it was really comforting. What I still remember about it is that I thought the sauce was really tasty. It wasn't too thick or thin. It wasn't overly sugary and had a good amount of tomato flavor without tasting like straight tomato sauce. So if you have the opportunity to order this, I would recommend it.
At the Food Truck Festival, P ordered the fried ravioli and Abby ordered some sort of lemon pie. (There's a reason why I don't remember the name. Oh, it's the Italian Oreo per their website.) The fried ravioli tasted pretty good. It was overly greasy or mushy. They gave you a small cup of sauce to dip the ravioli in. That was decent. My favorite part was probably the dusting of parmesan cheese all over. I didn't like Abby's dessert thing. It was dry, and the flavors didn't come out at all. Whatever they were supposed to be. I would not recommend this. 

I really, really want to try their penne a la vodka. Anyone else try this? Did you like it?

The Rating
The Info
Little Eataly
www.littleeataly.com

This FINALLY concludes Mmm...Food Trucks! Thanks for reading! If you're Facebook friends with me then you know that Scratch Truck tweeted a link to my blog! Exciting! But on a side note, I wanted to bring something up. I was very surprised by the number of food trucks (these didn't have tip jars out) that were sooo surprised when I gave them a tip. Is it just me? Even if there isn't a tip jar, I believe you should tip the food trucks. Because even if they are the owners, they provided you a service and product. I don't think the 15-20% rule applies, but the least you can do is give them a dollar. What do you guys think? Maybe I should just ask Siri...

1 comment:

  1. Scratch Truck's selection become a huge hit to me the most. Overall, I would definitely purchase from here again, but I would also definitely purchase differently.

    Lone Mountain Truck Leasing Review

    ReplyDelete