J-Swizzle's Indianapolis Restaurant Map

View Indianapolis Restaurants in a larger map
Blue Markers = Places To Visit Utensils = Places We've Been

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mmm...Food Trucks! Part 2

I'm finally concluding my food truck post with the trip to the First Friday Food Truck Festival at the Murat. (It'll always be the Murat to me.) We were kind of all over the place, so this post is going to be in list form.

1. Seoul Grill Indy
Obviously, if there is a food truck serving Korean BBQ, I have to try it. Obviously. And, obviously, I'm going to be critical of it... That day, their menu had a rice bowl sampler with either bulgogi (steak) or deji-bulgogi (spicy pork) with a variety of Korean sides: kimchi, radish kimchi, picked daikon... I tried the bulgogi, and I have to admit it was pretty good. Not bad at all. Overall, the whole thing was just that - not bad..except for the kimchi. It was horrible. I appreciate that they make all their food in house, so maybe I just got a bad batch? But that kimchi was just sooo bad. There was no spice to it and it tasted like straight vinegar. I really hope it was just a bad batch and they're not making people think that's what kimchi actually tastes like. Looking at the photos they have on facebook, it looks like they offer a number of other Korean dishes like Korean style wings and kimbap (Korean sushi rolls). So I'm willing to give this place another chance, but I'll probably just stick with making Korean myself or eating at a sit down restaurant.
The Rating
The Info
Seoul Grill Indy
www.facebook.com/seoulgrillindy
@seoulgrillindy

2. Smoke House
Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of this gem of a food truck. It looked like a log cabin. Mike ordered the rib tips with baked beans. And I have to say, this was probably my favorite bbq in Indy. (My absolute favorite bbq is from Pappy's in St. Louis.) Way better than King's Ribs. Way, way better. Normally I don't like rib tips since you don't get a lot of meat, but these had plenty of really tender meat. There was a little too much sauce, but I didn't mind that. The sauce was tangy, a little sweet, with a touch of heat. Just the way I like my sauce. The best part for me was the very smokey flavor. Mmm. I love that. I would definitely eat here again!
P.S. The baked beans were really good too. It had bits of meat mixed in. So yum, but honestly, I haven't found baked beans I didn't like. I even like the canned Bush's Baked Beans. So you might not want to take my advice on the beans.

The Rating
The Info
Smoke House
Sorry, couldn't find a website or anything. Anyone know anything about it?

3. Nicey Treat
Nicey Treat was more of a dessert cart of homemade frozen popsicles. What makes them unique are their different flavors like avocado, Arnie Palmer, Pineapple Basil, and mango ginger. The flavors Abby, P, and I tried were Avocado, Pineapple Basil, and Strawberry Mint (Right, Abby or P?) Chili Lime. Anyway, all of the flavors were really good, even the avocado. They were really refreshing. From looking at Nicey Treat's website, I learned that they try to only use local seasonal ingredients. Their treats are gluten, dairy, and lactose free. 
The Rating

The Info
Nicey Treat
www.niceytreat.com

4. Some of This! Some of That!
There were a lot of cajun, creole food trucks! And since Abby and Josh had already tried Chef Dan's and didn't love it, we tried SOT!SOT! Josh got the crawfish po-boy and Mike and I split the catfish po-boy. Both po boys were huge, so you get a lot of food for the cost. And I really liked how that bread wasn't overwhelming. Normally, I end up throwing away most of the bread but I didn't have to do that with this po-boy. The fried fish was really crispy and didn't taste oily at all. I also liked how their aioli was just drizzled over the top. This added just the right amount of flavor without the added gooey mess. The only downside was that the service was SOOOOOOOOO slow. Hopefully, it was just because it was food truck festival and they aren't always this slow.
The Rating
The Info
Some of This! Some of That!
www.facebook.com/sotsot1catering
@SOTSOT1

Ok, I lied...I'm not going to conclude my food truck post. I have 4 more trucks to write about so there will be a Part 3. Hey, don't judge. There were 5 people in our group so we were able to sample a lot of trucks. :-p

2 comments:

  1. No I got the chili lime popsicle, not strawberry mint. So good. Very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's right! Post corrected! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete