J-Swizzle's Indianapolis Restaurant Map

View Indianapolis Restaurants in a larger map
Blue Markers = Places To Visit Utensils = Places We've Been

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mmm...Food Trucks! Part 1

Obviously, this post is all about food trucks. I'm combining my trips to the First Friday Food Trucks Festival, a trip to Triton Brewery where Florribean Flair was, and an event at Bier Brewery that Scratch and Mac Genie were at. So I'll start there for Part 1...

Scratch...


...was freaking amazing! Mike and I ordered off the regular menu. He got the burger with poutine de Peru fries (fries tossed in Peruvian yellow pepper sauce with queso fresco), and I ordered the grilled cheese with the regular Poutine fries (Fries with gravy and mozzarella cheese curds). My food was definitely better. The grilled cheese had munster and colby jack cheese, braised short rib, carmelized onions, arugula and toasted honey white bread. Unfortunately, the cheese wasn't the focus of this sandwich, but it was still really good. The short rib meat was really tender and all of the flavors worked well. Mike's burger came with bacon marmalade, arugula and gorgonzola cheese. Even though Mike asked for his burger medium, it came out more medium well. It was still very juicy and flavorful. My favorite part was the poutine fries though. I think Mike preferred the Poutine de Peru because of the unique yellow pepper sauce, but I LOVED the gravy coated fries. What else is more comforting than gravy covered fried potatoes with cheese? Unfortunately, I just read on Scratch's website that they're taking the poutine fries off their menu for the spring/summer except as a weekly special. :-(

Mike and Josh also tried the Spicy Chicken Cone and Tuscan Chicken Sandwich. I didn't try the spicy chicken cone because it had a mango-jalapeno slaw and I'm allergic to mango. :-( I can't really speak much for this other than Mike liked this the best out of everything he tried. Even when we went to the Food Truck Festival, he considered getting the chicken cone again. Josh thought his sandwich was ok... to be fair, Josh didn't have the best initial impression of Scratch. At first he didn't like them because they cheated him out of some fries, but the guy at Scratch realized their mistake and actually brought a side of fries (with ketchup!) to Josh inside Bier. That was very cool of them, so all of us appreciated the customer service. 

The Rating 

The Info
Scratch Truck 
www.scratchtruck.com


Mac Genie is great when all I want are Carbs, Carbs, Carbs. Really, I think this is a great idea for a food truck. I know I wasn't the only one in college that craved mac and cheese after a night of drinking. And being good drunk food is a huge plus for food trucks. This was 2nd time I tried Mac Genie. I tried them for the first time after the Super Bowl. Then I tried their buffalo chicken mac. This time I tried their "original" mac and their Spicy Pickle. Everything I've tried here has been good mac and cheese. The pasta isn't too mushy and its full of lots of melty cheese instead of some artificial cheese sauce. I'd really like to see some more variety in their menu, but they have some really solid choices. In the end, this is an ideal place for Carbs, Carbs, Carbs....mmm...


The Rating
The Info
Mac Genie
www.genietrucks.com

With Florribean Flair, don't judge a book by its cover! It doesn't have a fancy truck, but that is no indication of how yummy the food is. Some online research shows that this food truck was created by the executive chef of Iozzo's Garden of Italy, and I LOVE that place! I ordered a sampler with a fish taco, jerk chicken, and a crab cake. I couldn't eat the taco because it was covered in mangoes. So everyone else tried it. I didn't hear any negative reviews of the taco except that Mike's bite had a lot more mango than fish, but it seemed like it was good. The jerk chicken was surprisingly very good! Full of flavor and had a really good kick! I thought it was nice and tender. I would definitely order this again! I also enjoyed the crab cake. Not bad for a crab cake in Indiana. This is a food not-truck that you should definitely give a try!


The Rating


The Info
Florribean Flair
www.florribeanflair.com

Part 2: Food Truck Festival...

1 comment:

  1. I am literally salivating right now...perhaps it's the prednisone talking, but this sounds awesome. I'm so sad I missed this...keep me posted on future food truck festivals...those fries may be vacation worthy.

    ReplyDelete