J-Swizzle's Indianapolis Restaurant Map

View Indianapolis Restaurants in a larger map
Blue Markers = Places To Visit Utensils = Places We've Been

Friday, June 3, 2011

Mug-n-Bun

One of my favorite clients took a few of his favorite ladies out to lunch. I requested Fogo de Chao, but we settled on Mug-n-Bun. This place has been around for a long time. It still operates as a drive-in, and one of my "older" coworker's mom used to come here when she was in high school. It's like a mini complex. There's a building where you can dine inside. There's another area where it looks like you can order from the window (not sure if you actually can), and there is an outdoor area with picnic tables. We ate out on the picnic tables since it was such a nice day. One of my favorite things about this place was this box that was at every table. You press the button on the box when you're ready to order! How many places do you see that at?!?! Unfortunately, I didn't get to test it out since we had an attentive server and checked on us before I could press the button. :-(
Since it usually takes me a long time to figure out what I want to eat, I did some research about this place during the car ride there. They are known for 3 things: Pork tenderloin sandwich, onion rings, and root beer. I sampled/ate all three and LOVED two of the things. Hey, 2 out of 3 isn't bad!

Fave client ordered a burger and fries. He seemed annoyed that I held up eating so I could take pictures. He should be appreciate that it was only this one time, and he doesn't have to deal with it everytime like P and Mike have to. He also wasn't in the spirit of sharing, but I didn't really want to taste his burger. It looked ok, but he said it was tasty.
One of my health conscious coworkers ordered the grilled chicken sandwich. I'm so proud of her. It looked really pathetic, but I didn't want to tell her that at the time. It at least came with veggies. I didn't try it, but she said it was actually really good. So if you're looking for a healthier alternative when you're here, then order that.
My "older" coworker ordered the pork tenderloin, and she let me try it. Yay! It was ok. I didn't want to order it because I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like it. This tenderloin is pounded thin and breaded. I think tenderloins like this look like a disk. But plenty of people prefer their tenderloins this way versus the giant, super crispy, completely NOT flat tenderloins they serve at Bourbon Street and John's Famous Stew. To each his own.
Had I known how large the portion of onion rings was going to be, I would have just ordered those and the root beer. But I thought it wasn't going to be very much so I asked the waitress what the most popular item on the menu was. She said, "The tenderloin." So I asked what the 2nd most popular item was. She said, "The chili cheese dog." And so I got that. It tasted eh, and looked really eh. The chili wasn't bad. It had good flavor and was a good thickness. The hot dog wasn't small, but you could tell it wasn't the best quality. The chili dog could really use a juicy beef hot dog.
The best parts of the entire meal were the onion rings and root beer. Don't you hate when you bite into an onion ring and you pull the rest of the onion out, so all you're left with is breading? You don't have that problem here! Don't you hate it when your breading is so weak it just falls off the onion? You don't have that problem here! These were THE BEST onion rings I've ever had. The root beer was something else too! I normally don't care for rootbeer, but this was THE BEST root beer I've ever had. They make it in house and they give it their own twist by adding extra vanilla. It's fantastic. You can buy it by the gallon or half gallon in case you want to take some home. ;-) And I saw on their website that they offer a diet version too. hmm....
The Rating
- For giving me THE BEST root beer and THE BEST onion rings I've ever had.

The Info
Mug-n-Bun
5211 W. 10th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46224
www.mug-n-bun.com
Mug-n-Bun Drive-in on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hey at least I ordered a root beer (and tried the best onion rings ever!)

    ReplyDelete